101 Things To Do In 1001 Days
Late one night a few months ago, I was surfing the net and “Stumbled” (more about StumbleUpon at a later date) across a site called Day Zero Project. Following is the basic rundown of what this project is about.
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
Being the list oriented person I am, How could I resist? It took me forever, but I have finally finished my list. I actually started it on April 1st, 2009 because I wanted to try it before I blogged about it. That means my end date will be December 28th, 2011. I’m sure I’ll need lots of encouragement and help with many of these, so please feel free to participate wherever you want. I’d love to have you around! My plan is to donate $5 per accomplished task to charity if I am able to complete all of the tasks on the list. So here they are in no particular order and not even categorized…
101 Things To Accomplish in 1001 Days
1) Get debt free
2) Lose 40 pounds. (10/40)
3) Do 10 things that risk rejection. (2/10) (No surprises yet…)
4) Buy another car with cash. ($5000 min.)
5) Buy an adventure motorcycle with cash. ($4000 min.)
6) Get a Commercial Driver’s License (Class A)
7) 2 Random ROAD TRIPS!! (0/2)
8 ) Write a book. (No matter how bad or short it is…)
9) Blog once per day for 60 days consecutively. (0/60)
10) Develop a growth plan for work, then work it…
11) Visit parents in WY twice. (0/2)
12) One adventure motorcycle trip. (Mostly offroad.)
13) Spend 4 days camping by myself.
14) Catch 10 different species of fish on fly rod. (Release them all… ) (0/10)
15) Travel to another country.
16) Think of 5 new items to invent and create a prototype for 1 of them. (0/5, 0/1)
17) Get 2 of my ideas on stage or in public. (0/2)
18) Learn to program lights at Buckhead Church.
19) Volunteer to feed the homeless 2 times. (0/2)
20) Go on 2 REAL dates with the same person. (0/2)
21) Write a letter to my Mom to tell her I love her.
22) Give blood 2 times. (0/2)
23) Make one lifelong dream come true for someone other than myself.
24) Cook 1 new recipe per month.
25) Commit 3 random acts of kindness.
26) Read at least 1 book per month.
27) Run 3 5k’s.
28) Run Peachtree Road Race.
29) Learn Spanish at a conversational level.
30) Have dinner or lunch with 1 new person every month.
31) Go on an overnight trip by canoe or kayak
32) Wear a superhero outfit under my clothes for a day and not tell anyone. (Blog about it the next day.)
33) Spend at least 1 day in 2 cities I’ve never been in.
34) Start roller-blading.
35) Go to 2 outdoor sporting events.
36) Go to 2 major music concerts.
37) See 8 movies on opening day. (2/8) (Wolverine and Star Trek April, 09)
38) Visit 1 new state that I’ve never been in.
39) Cook for friends
40) Eat nothing but Special K cereal for 1 week. (You didn’t think this whole thing would be serious did you?)
41) Notice 4 perfect days, stop everything planned and do something completely spontaneous.
42) Create 2 new yearly traditions for myself.
43) Start to learn to play a stringed instrument.
44) Meet 3 people in person that I’ve previously only known online.
45) Take 1 complete vacation. (Cabin, Hotel)
46) Run 3 days a week or more for 2 consecutive months.
47) Write a will
48) Organize my home and storage unit.
49) Organize 1 dog play date
50) Have a picnic on the roof of a building.
51) Join a mentoring group
52) Write a letter to someone who hurt me in the past, burn it, then call them and work it out in person.
53) Compliment excellent customer service to a manager 5 times.
54) Make a list of 50 things that I absolutely love and post it somewhere public so people can learn more about me.
55) Develop a plan to start mapping my brain and generate more useful ideas.
56) Babysit a child for free.
57) Send a “just because” care package to a friend.
58) Compliment 1 person sincerely per day for 30 days.
59) Plant a tree
60) Drink nothing but water for 1 week.
61) Get 8 hours of sleep every night for 1 week.
62) Send out Christmas cards one year.
63) Make a reading list, then read it…
64) Paint/draw 1 picture I like and hang it.
65) See a play
66) Eat a meal in a nice restaurant by myself.
67) Take an interesting photo of myself.
68) Fast for 72 hours
69) Take a class for fun. (Scuba diving?)
70) Send 10 thank-you cards to people not on staff
71) Do a daily affirmation in the mirror for 30 consecutive days.
72) Write a letter to myself telling me what I like about me and blog it for others to see.
73) Write a letter to my past self giving advice I now realize I wish I had then.
74) Write one anonymous letter to someone and deliver it.
75) Surpass 200,000 miles on the Geo.
76) Teach one person how to fly-fish. (Jared Roman) ← nominated himself!
77) Read the bible in chronological order.
78) Watch every episode of McGuyver. (10/139)
79) Visit the Atlanta Botanical Gardens.
80) Make something explode.
81) Restore something old.
82) Build something from scratch. (electronics?)
83) Get on a TV show or commercial
84) Stay up all night talking to someone.
85) Organize a scavenger hunt
86) Create, shoot, and edit goofy videos for the blog.
87) Spend an entire day without talking.
88) Have someone else give me a fashion makeover.
89) Sit on top of a mountain and absorb for a day.
90) Create my own holiday and convince others to celebrate it.
91) Take a vacation day to play with children.
92) Quit caffeine for 1 week.
93) Do something that is a complete secret.
94) Spend a weekend experiencing another culture.
95) Record one entire day in photographs.
96) Ride on a train other than MARTA.
97) Spend a night looking at the stars.
98) Arrange a night out for someone else and their GF or spouse. Take care of all details for them.
99) Get CPR certification
100) Change 5 of the previous goals to make them more challenging.
101) Find someone who doesn’t like me and change their opinion of me.